Wednesday, June 12, 2013

How and Why

I'm bored again.  It happens easily when you're stuck inside all day long and your roommate is off with her boyfriend again.  So I thought I would explain just how I ended up spitting diamonds.
It started a couple weeks ago.  I was at the duck pond (and don't you say a word, Ivy!) feeding the new ducklings when this sweet old woman came up the path.  I didn't think much of it at first, but then she started crawling around on the rocks.  Why?  I can only guess.  Personally I think she orchestrated this whole thing from start to finish.
It was like I was watching in slow motion.  Her foot slipped on the rocks, and she lurched backwards... Before I really knew what I was doing I jumped up and managed to push her back to solid ground... before I ended up in the water myself.
I came up wet, cold, and covered in the feathers of the ducks that had scattered.  The woman was very apologetic, even when I tried to tell not to worry about it.  Why can't people just listen?  She insisted on paying me back.  When I told her that was completely unnecessary, she just laughed it off and said she had been waiting for something like this.
That itself should have tipped me off, but unfortunately, I remained oblivious to the fact that she was a super.  Not the kind you hear about in the news, mind you.  Not all supers are the "save/destroy the world" type.  Most are really rather ordinary people who have unusual talents.  This particular woman appears to have the ability to give super abilities to others.  She pointed her finger at me, and I was suddenly surrounded by glowing purple swirls.  For a second that was all I could see.  When they faded, the woman was gone.  I tried to call for her, but the moment I made a sound, I felt something in my mouth.  It was cold and hard.  For a moment I was afraid one of my dental fillings had come out, but when I spit it into my hand, I realized it was a ruby. 
I think she was trying to make a joke about my name.  I am not amused.

Not all that glitters is gold.
Ruby
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! A super who can GIVE powers to others?! That's major intense!

    And incredibly dangerous.

    Do you think she picks the powers she grants? Or is it like, random?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. I think she chose, but that might just be me feeling vindictive.

      Delete